Since the start of Russia's extended war, Ukraine has been in the headlines almost daily. Yet it is often the same voices that are heard in the news. The diversity of Ukrainian and post-Soviet societies is hardly represented. Especially underrepresented are social movements and voices from civil society.
Instead of listening to those who are most affected, it is often self-proclaimed experts without real expertise of Eastern Europe who are interviewed in the media, who trivialize the brutality of the war and spread disinformation, conspiracy theories and right-wing propaganda.
The result is news reporting that hardly does justice to the lived experiences of the people in Ukraine. In order to break down stereotypes and standardized portrayals, those who have been directly affected by the war and can authentically describe their perspectives must be heard in the media. How can people in Germany express solidarity and support the civilian population in Ukraine and the post-Soviet region?
We want to see people in the news who have been affected by the war and russian imperialism and who fight for social justice, anti-racism, environmental protection, democracy, human rights or the rights of women* and the LGBTQI* community.
We need you!
- Have been affected by the war, had to flee yourself or are worried about your relatives?
- Have migrated from a country or region affected by Russian imperialism?
- Are an activist or critical journalist covering politics in Eastern Europe?
- Take a stand against racism and nationalism and care about solidarity, climate justice and democracy?
- Are from Russia? If you clearly condemn the war against Ukraine, are in solidarity with the Ukrainian people and actively take a stand against Russian imperialism, we look forward to receiving your application.
If you are unsure wether this training is right for you: Contact us here!
We will empower you to confidently step in front of microphones and cameras. In this training, you will learn:
- Strategic interview preparation and follow-up
- Delivering key messages in 30 seconds
- Answering critical questions
- Dealing with interruptions or mansplaining
- Techniques against nervousness
- Selfcare and digital self-defense against shitstorms
- Training in front of the camera with group feedback
- Practice interviews with journalists
- Tips and tricks from talkshow professionals
This training will take place from March 15th to 17th, 2024 in Hamburg. Arrival day will be March 14th, 2023.
Participation, accommodation and meals are completely free of charge. Travel costs can be compensated. The training language is German/English with translation.
We are aware that this training touches on very sensitive and emotional topics. If you are unsure whether you can or would like to attend, please contact us at any time. We will have an awareness person and concept during the entire time of the training.
Networking with journalists
After the Talkshow-Training, we will add you to our network of speakers and pitch you as a guest for interviews, articles, podcasts, TV, radio or live broadcast news.
We can’t wait to meet you
If you are frustrated that your perspective is so little represented in the German media and want to talk to journalists, then you are exactly the right person for our training!
We are looking forward to your application! The deadline is January 28, 2024.
Since there are often more applicants than places in the training, there will be a selection process on zoom in the first two weeks of February. We will confirm your participation by February 16, 2024.